Thursday, June 9, 2011

Here and Back again

Yay, Im finally back in New Eden after taking care of my mothers house while she was out of town for the last month or two. Yeah, she has internet, but after losing my Orca, I was none to happy to be on EVE for awhile. So I came back last night actually, spending most of the evening getting my stuff organized in Branch since I missed the move out. I jump cloned back to Amarr and made the 20 jump trip to Molden Heath today.

After spending several hours looking for a challenge of a fight, I finally found one. I was flying back and forth trying to catch a rifter pilot, but he was always closely followed by a Drake or Hurricane; forcing me to warp back to a nearby safe I had made upon arriving.  Apparently, his corpmates took notice, and one of them invited me to a 1v1 frig fight, which is what I was wanting anyhow. So I hesitantly accepted this challenge, joined his fleet and warped to him at 10km.

As I warped in, I saw the Rifter; a tried and true ship for pvp. I knew right away that he was either going to try to kite me or fight in close with his cannons. There would be no chance at keeping up, giving me plenty of usage out of my scorch crystals overheated range. Or he would get under my guns, and I would be praying for hits using my INMF crystals. I was glad he chose to stay close because I was not using an afterburner, which ended up being detrimental for me throughout the fight.

I could not for the life of me, get out of the 1k-1500m range. With an optimal of roughly 2400 on my lasers and a falloff of about 500, I would not be landing strong enough hits so close. As he chewed through my shields in 3 or 4 volleys, he smacked into my armor as I began to start pulsing my repper. Soon, I was at 50% armor, looking to get aligned to warp out, however, I noticed the Rifter was also missing a nice chunk of armor. Realizing that I had broke his shield tank, I decided to stay in til the end, its either me or him!

Well, it was me who popped. Aligning when I hit structure, my pod remained in tact. I thanked and gf'd him as he did me. Yet, Im not sure if he had cloaked friends nearby who were watching the fight or if he was relaying what was happening on vent, but when the fight was over, local filled with GF from almost all 15ish people there. I was surprised by this because there were a couple people who said "best frig 1v1 they've seen in a long time". Well, I lost the ship, but I felt pretty good about it.

2011.06.10 03:01:00
Victim: Axazia
Corp: Hysterically Unforgiving
Alliance: Wildly Inappropriate.
Faction: Unknown
Destroyed: Punisher
System: Oddelulf
Security: 0.4
Damage Taken: 3404

Involved parties:
Name: Aeth Gemulus (laid the final blow)
Security: -10.0
Corp: The Hatchery
Alliance: NONE
Faction: NONE
Ship: Rifter
Weapon: 150mm Light AutoCannon II
Damage Done: 3404
Name: Angel Heavy Missile Battery / Angel Cartel
Damage Done: 0

Destroyed items:
Gatling Pulse Laser II
Small Armor Repairer II
Scorch S, Qty: 3 (Cargo)
Small Trimark Armor Pump I, Qty: 3
Tungsten Charge M, Qty: 100 (Cargo)
Imperial Navy Multifrequency S, Qty: 2

Dropped items:
Gatling Pulse Laser II, Qty: 2
Damage Control II
200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
X5 Prototype I Engine Enervator
Adaptive Nano Plating II
Small Diminishing Power System Drain I
Fleeting Progressive Warp Scrambler I
Imperial Navy Multifrequency S

Take Away Things:
This is something I decided to do to focus a section of my posts where I need to learn something. I think most of my posts have just been stories and thats all and good, but its more difficult to quickly recover my thoughts that I need to keep in mind throughout each fight. Basically a "What did I learn" section.

For this fight, I really wasnt able to keep range in my optimal. I was doing less damage because of it. I had equipped a scram instead of the AB with the plan to prevent my prey from running away when low on remaining structure. To counter this, I think I need to change the guns Ive got to something with more falloff. I dont think the tracking differences will hurt me that much until I find a ship with drones. Had I had a larger falloff or was at 2500m, I am confident I would have one this fight.

As for finding prey, I moved to Molden Heath in hopes of finding plenty of fights. What I found were people who docked up (21 people in 3 station system, all except 2 were docked), ships too strong for me to think of fighting with a punisher (Drake, Hurricane) and people who would sit afk in their POS forcefields. That last one really bothers me, as I couldnt get in there to bump them out, let alone live through some of those defense lasers (which I escaped from several times)

All in all, lots of time spent finding a fight that was fun and good but still a loss. Im going to stay in this area and soon I plan to have a kill rather than a loss mail.

1 comment:

  1. It's a common misconception that Optimal and Falloff have an effect on your hit chance at close ranges, but it's not actually the case.

    As long as the range to your target is less than or equal to your optimal range (so for you, 2500m), range is removed from the equation entirely - all other things being equal (both you and your target stationary etc), your hit chance at anywhere from 0km to your optimal would be 100%.

    Your ability to hit at close range is determined by your opponent's angular velocity (i.e. how fast they are orbiting you - higher speeds or closer orbits give higher angular velocity) vs the tracking speed of your guns.

    It's also affected by the signature radius (i.e. size) of your target vs the signature resolution (i.e. accuracy) of your guns, but for frig vs frig this should have very little effect.

    So to hit more accurately at close range, you need to either use guns with better tracking (you're already using the best tracking lasers, although switching to autocannons would provide better tracking still), slow down your opponent (which you're already doing with the web) or fit modules like tracking enhancers to increase your tracking (which probably isn't suitable on a punisher - you need those low slots for tank!) Also if you haven't already, train up Motion Prediction!

    ReplyDelete