Monday, May 9, 2011

I hate the blob....

So after roaming for a lil while, I got bored and got a conversation going with a guy who was flying a stealth bomber. In my punisher, I wasnt sure if I could take him and he wasnt sure if he could hit me. So after some cat and mouse, I figured out I couldnt get within targeting range to prevent him from cloaking up. I switched to a slicer, and soon his corp mate showed up in a rifter. Now, I dont mind this, because I was looking for a fight.

What bothered me more is my issue with setting optimal range. I recently upgraded to t2 ammo (scorch) as well as the t2 gatling lasers instead of my regular tier 1 DMLs, so the range differences with the smaller falloff was an adjustment for me throughout the fight. I got the SB down to 7 armor before he was able to warp off. I almost had him, but I was half armor also! I was pusling my MWD (recently switch from an AB) and my cap was going down much faster than I was used to as well. I think I got the rifter down to about 1/4 or 1/2 armor before my ship exploded and I warped out in my pod. The PoS damage is from when I was exploring the planets and moons and warped in a little too close, barley escaping with my ship in tact.

Slicer Fight

Now, after my thrilling loss to a couple of awesome pilots, I decided to go mining. In low sec. I activated my alt account up, got my orca and a covetor out there for my alt to fly (cuz hulk is exspensive). By the time I was situated, no one was in local except me and my alt. A few randoms would come and go, but no one stayed long enough to probe me out it seemed. I grew complacent in my little world of mining and moving ore from cargo hold to corp hanger to ore hold. That was a mistake, because I hadnt noticed a pilot named Max lingering in local. Im guessing he was a scout, because when I noticed a yellow pop on grid, I was already aligned, however, Orca's are extremely slow to gtfo. Mining barge made it out to safe spot. Orca, not so lucky due to being webbed/scrammed before I finished getting to warp speed.

Drones were attacking, trying to distract the pointer to no avail, and soon enough, 2 more reds popped on grid. Then there 5...8...10...15 and finally 16. Several battleships, a Legion, and a few battlecruisers. Yeah....so about that mining I was doing. Apparently, these guys live out in this wormhole that had popped into this section of space. I guess, I dont really know. All I know is that my overview quickly and rapidly filled with reds. My foreman links had been turned off, with my shields going as I aligned to safe spot. I kept trying to gtfo, but was still scrammed hardcore with no chance of escape. Good bye, my dear Orca, you were my first loss for a ship of your type.

Orca Lost to the Blob

So, yeah, I hate the blob. I dont even want to be a part of it. There were more than 16 people on grid when my ship went boom, but several of them were not able to target before it did. That doesnt seem like much fun to me. Also, does it really take 15+ battleships or bigger to take down a simple miner in lowsec? Seriously, at least when it was just the cruisers or one or two battleships, I may have been able to handle myself or escape with ship in tact. I offered a meager ransom to them to not blow me up, to no answer. I lost my cool when the ship exploded and as I warped out, said a word or two in local to them and it wasnt GF.

I hate the blob!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's less that they were looking to blob you and more that they were looking for those so-often-seen battlecruiser gangs that roam about. W-space is pretty lonely, and getting fleet fights like that is pretty rare. In 0.0, that's what we call a normal sized roaming gang, with a blob being 80+ (minimum for a real fleet of any consequence)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so much that they "needed" 16 people to kill you as they wanted to get on the kill mail. A players pvp skill is often judged buy k/d ratio or isk efficiency. Either way a 500m orca is a pretty juicy target.

    Also, some people live for "tears" ... getting mad at them will only make them enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete