Sunday, April 24, 2011

First Real Foray into PvP

I just got back to EVE and decided to try your plan for myself. I used to be mostly miner with ships above my abilities, which meant I was usually on the short end of the stick of a pirates ship on mine. I have just under 7 million sp, and level 3/4 in 116 skills. I only have eight level 5 skills.

My first attempt resulted in a kill from flipping a guys can. I had been trying to find this retriever with dscan instead of flying to each belt. I had spent about 10-15 minutes figuring out the directional scanner before I figured out the basics on how to target someone and guesstimate their location, yet he wasnt my focus. I saw a mining barge and him, plus a jet can. I figured the miner was the one using it, but it was this guy in a rinky dink Tormentor. So I said screw it, lets rock out.

So once in range, I flipped his can, targetd and orbited him. After he noticed this, he flew off. Being high sec, I couldnt have attacked him without Concorde showing up and ruining my day. I just figured he didnt want to fight, so I filled my cargo with his ore, and a moment later as I was aligning to a station to unload, he reappered in his Coercer. It was awesome that he came back. And it scared me because he was in a destroyer. I set range pretty easily as he chewed through my shields extremely quick. But Im an Amarrian. I am all armor tank, baby! He couldnt break my tank as I pulsed my small repper! I scrammed him, stopping his escape of warping out.

It was about a 10-15 second fight, but it was intense for me with the thought in the back of my head that his friends might show up any second. Maybe he didnt have any yet, cuz no one came and I got the kill. Made a few trips back and forth getting ore out of his cans, but with over 22k m3 of ore, my little frigate only able to hold 350ish, it made for a slow drain out of the cans and quit after 3 trips =P

I expect losses in the future and planned for them accordingly, however, this first dip into pvp showed me that the effort Ive put into researching fits, tactics and figuring out the dscanner has paid off. I did however not check this guys info, such as employment history or anything to guage how much skill he might have against me, which I should have done just in case. Even then though, I would have attempted to fight him because I wanted to at least try pvp, even if I was going to lose. I dont care that this guys fit was terrible, I cant slack or you might see a loss mail! =)

Link to my alliance's killboard, and the killmail if you dont want to go there:
http://wialliance.killmail.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=9507215

Victim: Synergid Sabezan
Corp: Royal Amarr Institute
Alliance: Unknown
Faction: Unknown
Destroyed: Coercer
System: Tash-Murkon Prime
Security: 0.8
Damage Taken: 2687

Involved parties:

Name: Axazia (laid the final blow)
Security: 0.1
Corp: Hysterically Unforgiving
Alliance: Wildly Inappropriate.
Faction: NONE
Ship: Punisher
Weapon: Dual Light Pulse Laser I
Damage Done: 2687

Name: Sansha's Ravener / True Power
Damage Done: 0

Destroyed items:

Dual Afocal Light Maser I, Qty: 2
Gamma S, Qty: 2
Infrared S
Medium Modal Pulse Laser I
Multifrequency S
Energized Basic Reactive Plating
Microwave S
Civilian Shield Booster I
Xray S
Warp Core Stabilizer I

Dropped items:

Dual Afocal Light Maser I
Medium Modal Pulse Laser I
Medium Beam Laser I, Qty: 3
Multifrequency S, Qty: 2
Type-D Power Core Modification: Diagnostic System

4 comments:

  1. Awesome first fight. It took me about 5 ships before I made my first kill. Of course, I have real issues identifying appropriate targets. :D

    Just a couple of thoughts, though. Would you mind telling us a little about your fit? Also, was there anything in particular that you would have done differently?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ill post my fitting in the next post, as Ive got an idea of what I want to fly with, adjusting as needed.

    As for what I would have done differently in this fight? Im really not sure, tbh. I was scared that he came back and was expecting a loss, so I really had nothing to lose. It took me a few seconds to realize the range he had set when warping in and firing on me, so I switch from my infrareds to multi's, fired up the AB and set to close on him.

    I had learned about manual flying only hours or so before and had been practicing double clicking empty space, so once I got my range down to about 3k, I set orbit to 1000m. At that speed, with the AB going, my orbit was really about 2000-2400, which was near my optimal with the multi crystals. I believe at that point, I was well below his guns tracking abilities.

    During this few seconds, he had chewed through my shields quickly, which is why I was scared; figured the same would happen to my armor. I took a few hits on the armor, dropping it down 3 or 4 little bars. I turned on my repper, it healed, cycled a second time before I thought to turn it off to save cap, and by this time, he was half way through his own armor now and I hadnt even been watching his hp, I had just been trying to do the basic stuff to keep myself alive.

    I had been relaying what I was doing and what was happening to corp chat to get their reactive help as well, which wasnt much in such a short amount of time, just a couple "set range" and "go for it!" comments. I think not typing during the fight would have been beneficial so I could have been more attentive to my opponent, because he had been trying to align/move away from me, which is why my range fluctuated I think, now looking back at the fight. I noticed it in time though, and tossed my warp scrambler on him when he was about 25% armor.

    He got into structure and I looked at my armor....IT WAS FULL!! I about fell out my chair in disbelief. I exclaimed in corp chat "he's in structure omg!!" A split second after that, his ship blew up. I was ecstatic with myself. As I celebrated, his pod showed up on my overview. I didnt react quickly enough, as I was only able to target him and click away the warning for high sec pod kills without actually reading it. I clicked my scram just in time to see it give me the error he's out of range my 500m... And he got away in his pod.

    Sorry for the extended story, but for what I would do differently is react faster and more calmly when someone comes back with a bigger ship because they wont always have the skills to fly it well enough to kill me in a smaller one. Second, I shouldnt celebrate a kill until the pod itself is gone, as I could have gotten it had I not been doing my happy dance in chat.

    Thanks for the comment, Taurean, I appreciate the fact that you actually looked at my story =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grats on a successful first outing. Always enjoy seeing people getting out there and learning by doing. Two comments to make on the above...first off, don't beat yourself up or diminish your accomplishment by saying that his fit wasn't very good. My rationale has always been that you don't know any of that while the fight is going on, and he did engage you, so you had to assume he was fit for PvP. Second, since this was a highsec kill, it's for the best that his pod got away...there was nothing you could have done to it without receiving a OMGWTFBBQ from CONCORD. Being aggressed only gives you kill rights on whatever aggresses you, which is the ship, the pod is still off limits. The same applies in lowsec if you get aggressed on a gate/station; you can destroy the ship, but attacking the pod will evoke a response from the gate/station guns. Good luck out there, and I'll look forward to reading the rest of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ran across your blog from Taurean's and I think I'll enjoy reading it. :)

    Like you I was a carebear as well. I got in with a group of people who liked to run missions in Matar highsec. While that was fun for a while, it quickly became boring and I deactivated my account a couple months later.

    I wasn't done though, something about EVE draws people to it and I heard that call loud and clear. I set up a couple trials over the course of a couple months to get my eve fix. During the course of my second trial (third if you count the initial trial with my main) I was invited to play in 0.0 and they paid to reactivate my main. That too was fun for a while, but I couldn't handle the amount of grinding I was doing. I deactivated again.

    Two weeks ago I started another trial, to once again, get my eve fix. This time I was intent on getting some solo pvp play in before my game time ended. 4 days later I got my first kill on a 2 month old character who has a habit of fighting people in Hadaugago (the rookie system for minmatar.) http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=13799259

    I was pretty happy that I managed to kill someone with my low skill level and almost killed his shield cane with my rifter had I not run out of ammo.

    Anyway, after that engagement I didn't manage to get too much playing time in, but I made a decision to make sure my rupture I bought would die a fiery death before the end of my trial. http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=13847446 I was not disappointed! I got his jag deep into structure (38% iirc) before I died. (note: the drake on the km was someone i was playing around with earlier and had no part in the actual kill.)

    With my remaining money and the insurance I bought some rifters and gave them out to people. One in particular received 10 and was pointed toward Taurean's blog.

    In any case, I thought you would enjoy my story and be encouraged that sp isn't everything. :) Fly dangerous!

    ReplyDelete