Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Executioner Executed

I decided to go out to Aldali again, to see if I could find someone to fight. Its the same place I got blown up by the station guns previously. On my way out, I saw a couple busy systems, full of miners I guess. I decided to dscan here, in .8 or .9 space and see if any of them were using cans. Surprisingly, several were. I saw few punishers also, but they kept moving around and I couldnt get a good location on them, missioning most likely. I found a bantem, so figured Id try to get him to fight.

I took a few peices of his ore, and he sent me a convo thing. So we talked for abit, all the while, I was taking his ore out of his can and putting it into mine. Just in case he decided to take it back. Yeah, Im evil, I know =) Anyhow, after talking to this guy for a bit, he mentions this is an alt and his main can fly battleships. Cool, I didnt want to fight such a new toon anyways really, this guy is only a month or two old. So he logs over to his main, who can fly battleships. Well, looking at his employment history showed me his main wasnt much experienced either, most likely just training ship skills to fly the ship in space, not combat. I understand that, as I did the same with my Abaddon last September.

So I drop a can, he takes it. Then he flies off. Like 50km away. So far out of my range, he cant be hit. I inform him that there is no point in flying so far away, he cant hit me either, that he should orbit around 5km. And he flies back, and I immediately put my scram and nos on to prevent his MWD from helping him fly so fast. I turn on my guns, with infrareds in, then think I need to switch them. They cycle less than once before I turn them off, switch all 3 crystals and get them turned back on. Go me!

This guy is beating down my shield, but not as quickly as I thought he would. It was apparent to me at this point, that I was going to win. Hes at half armor,  so I turn off my guns. I wanted to see if he could get through my tank at all before he died. I think he was trying to fly away, because range went from 5km-ish to about 8km-ish before I noticed. So I changed from orbit to approach. I got within 2km and turned lasers back on. He wasnt getting away with his MWD disabled. He killed my shields, but did zero damage to my armor. I kept range low and killed his ship.

2011.04.26 12:56:00
Victim: Edd11 NalelmirCorp: Royal Advanced Industries
Alliance: Imperial Crimson Legion
Faction: Unknown
Destroyed: Executioner
System: Bhizheba
Security: 1.0
Damage Taken: 947

Involved parties:
Name: Axazia (laid the final blow)
Security: -0.3
Corp: Hysterically Unforgiving
Alliance: Wildly Inappropriate.
Faction: NONE
Ship: Punisher
Weapon: Dual Light Pulse Laser I
Damage Done: 947

Destroyed items:
Gatling Afocal Maser I
Concentrated Veldspar, Qty: 49 (Cargo)
Phased Monopropellant I Hydrazine Boosters
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I, Qty: 2
Multifrequency S, Qty: 2

Dropped items:
Beta Hull Mod Overdrive Injector
Gatling Afocal Maser I
Cap Recharger II
Type-D Altered SS Overdrive Injector

I think I did ok in picking a target I could kill this time. However, I did not think that he was a pure newbie, which I believe he is. After talking to him for a bit, he seems like a good guy and was willing to entertain me with a fight, even if he thought he would lose, which makes him good in my book. I think what I could have done better though would be to pay more attention to the range, because it did take me a moment to notice that he was increasing distance between us.

I did ok on the rest I think, except for changing the crystals. I have been doing a few missions in my Harbinger, and with infrareds, my range is 15km. With multi's, its about 6500. I was still in the mindset of flying my BC sized ship, so in that respect, I had changed crystals at the wrong point in time. It wasnt until he was getting further away that I realized I was using the wrong crystals from the beginning. Had I kept the infrareds in, I am sure I would have killed him before he had the chance to turn and run. So remembering which ship I am flying is also very important when setting range and ammo.

After the fight, we talked some more and I offered tips on flying a ship without the proper support skills. As we were talking, I was tempted to suicide myself and kill his pod, since he was orbiting and I had targeted it soon as his ship went boom. But I was able to resist the dark side and let him live. Good thing too, because had I been distracted with blowing him up, the Harbinger and Scorpian duo in the same corp as the people who I had just a moment ago stolen some Veldspar mining crystals from, showed up. I started to fly towards them, because for some reason, the text was on top of each other all jumbled, so I couldnt see what ships they were at first. Luckily for me, they were 50km out and I had plenty of time to figure this out. I was already aligned (trying to make it a habit) and so I warped out quickly due to the certain death that awaited me had I stayed.

4 comments:

  1. You mentioned that you are currently flying with your guns ungrouped. Presumably this is to smooth out your cap curve.

    This sometimes makes sense in long battles at a consistent range where cap management is a deciding factor(ie, in battleships). Frigate fights, on the other hand, are short and brutal affairs that require you to constantly react to changing distances and targets.

    Having your guns grouped means that you would only have to switch your crystals once for all three guns. There's enough stuff going on in pvp without making work for yourself.

    Good job on finding yourself a fight, and good job on avoiding a fight you couldn't handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points on the gun grouping. Until I came back, I had been using a Harbinger that chews through cap like its nothing. Ill try grouping them for the next few encounters.

    When's your next fight going to be? I am looking forward to it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you will find, finding fights is a skill all it's own, so I can't really schedule them. Equally, my play hours are erratic, so I actually post a week or two in arrears.

    This means that I can post every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and I know in advance what I am going to be posting.

    This Friday is going to be pretty special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it is kinda hard sometimes finding someone willing to fight who is a good match. I am too connected online to not post as I get something done, not patient enough to hold onto it for a few days.

    And good deal, Ill keep an eye out for your next post =)

    ReplyDelete