Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Vengeance vs Retribution, et ali

I had just finished a mission, and someone was looking for a 1v1. I asked what class, and he replied that hes flying a Sacrilage. T2 cruisers are a bit out of the range I was looking to fight right now, so I said nevermind. He asked what I was flying and I informed him Vengeance and offered to fight him if he dropped down to a frigate class vessel. To which he did, but it was 7 jumps away, so I had to wait. Well, wait I did!

This pilot, Yungjeff14, is in a player corp. I am in Viziam, an NPC corp. My thought process on this is that if he drops a can that I steal from, his corp can join in. If he steals my can, no one from Viziam can join in. Second thought is that this is highsec, so he may have a booster alt. To make it fair and to make sure he doesnt, fleet up. I learned the fleet up process while in lowsec, where Concorde doesnt rape your face if you attack another pilot, like in high sec where they do. This lead to me dropping a can, fleeting up with this pilot while he took the can. Well, that didnt work, he didnt go red. Oh...Fleet members can take from your can. Ok, unfleet, he dropped can, I took. Wait, shit! The whole point of this was so he took the can!

Well, he soon opened fire, going red to me. I returned fire, double webbing and scramming him. Prior to the engagemet, I warped in at 100km to planet 8 where he chose the locale, he closed in very quickly,at higher than 2km/s; showing me his one midslot was MWD. Also, he knew what ship I was using, but he hadnt known that I was using lasers. Working to my advantage *finally*, this pilot had set his resists up for rocket type damages. My lasers ripped through his shields and chewed quickly through his armor into structure. At this point, I turned off my guns and offered him a ransom, jokingly. Also, sometime during him getting into armor, he hit my armor as well, to which I turned on my repper. I am cap stable with all modules going, and he didnt have a neut or nos, so I was in no way in trouble. I turned off my repper to make him feel like he was not fighting some godlike tank.

This move had worked out ok, until I stopped attacking and asked what his ship was worth to him. I heard the armor alarms going off which snapped me out of my focus, and back into the defensive. Overheating my repper, as well as my guns, I got him deep into structure. My armor shot back up into the safe zone. Then, a second red line appeared on my overview. Well, this is what I didnt want to happen. My opponent was less than 10% structure, and a legion had just shown up as backup. I stopped orbit immediately, aligning to a celestial. I waited for a split second longer before I hit warp, because I know the lock time on a Legion onto my Vengeance is roughly 4.4 seconds with my fit and skills. (go my EFT warrior skills!) Getting out of there, hoping my lasers would finish off the dishonorable opponent as I left.

Sadly, the losers ship did not blow up. What happened afterwards was unexpected for me and I feel lucky to have survived. They chased me. At least 3 of their corpmembers were chasing me. Id jump to planets at 100km, sit for a minute to ridicule them in local for claiming to honor a 1v1, which they did not. Me taunting them for chasing after and unable to catch me probally didnt help much except to piss them off. I dont care though, they stole a killmail that I had finally won.

This is a fight I won; in both combat and afterwards in evading the reinforcements. I didnt have any safes in this system; being my home mission system and in an npc corp, I never felt the need to make any. I did everything in this fight correct except for turning off my repper, especially since Im cap stable and didnt need to do so. The opponent is similar age as me, having been born one month before me as well, so skill wise, we were pretty even. I feel cheated though, as my slump finally comes to an end and I dont get the credit for it.

4 comments:

  1. Well done on the win. In general, though, people are not prepared to ransom ships worth less than 100 mil, so you are probably better off just blowing him up and looting the wreck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much, Taurean. I think youre right on the ransom stuff. I probally shouldnt ransom unless I catch a pod where the implants are =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "this pilot had set his resists up for rocket type damages" You mean all of them? Rockets come in 4 flavors and cover the full spectrum of single damage types. One of many things that make Rocket Vengeance awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most likely expl/kin resists, as my scorch/multi tore through his defenses.

    ReplyDelete