Friday, July 15, 2011

RMT vs P2W

Real Money Transactions dont bother me much. I understand they have a place in the world and that some people abuse the system to win. When it comes to EVE, you buy plex, sell plex for isk and trade isk for a character to be able to hit that EASY button. I feel we should just cut out the middle man, and pay for SP via real money.  Due to the massive amount of isk floating around in EVE, dont offer to trade plex or isk for SP. This does two things. Makes me happy, because I would gladly spend up to $500 on a game I enjoy playing, getting the skills to fly the ship I want to fly, most likely more over a several year span. Second, this would piss off the in game rich people who are poor in real life yet their sweet tears would make me feel better about me losing my ships to them because Im poor in game. So three things I guess. Anyways...

Pay to win though, is something different to me. That means you are opening up the cheat console, entering in "godmode," getting bashed into a corner by the mobs, and slowly beating them back with your wooden stick that you started the game with. Youre not actually using your awesome gamer skills or knowledge to win the game. If I buy skillpoints to fly a ship, lets say the Abaddon, did I buy all the right skills; such as Engineering, Electronics 5, Weapons Upgrades and Advanced Weapons Upgrades to get in those tight fits? How bout Large Pulse Specialization, which also needs Large Energy Guns 5, Medium Energy Guns 5, Small Energy guns 5, AND Small and Medium Pulse Specialization to at least 4 each. Lets not also forget Motion Prediction and Gunnery 5. Phew, thats alot of skillpoints there, son! And alot of RL cash.

Those skills there would take 175 days to train from new character, and with optimized attributes, 139 days. Thats not even including the support skills such as Controlled Bursts, Rapid Firing, Sharp Shooter, Surgical Strike or any of the other skills that enhance weapon turrets outside of gunnery alone. Three to Five months of waiting is worth a $50 to $100 bucks to me. $100 is pushing me towards thinking its kinda greedy, so Id train up the faster skills first at the current training rate and once I got into the 15-20 day skill train times, Id buy out. However, this goes back to the RMT stuff. Am I paying to win? Not really, Im paying to get into something Id enjoy flying. Do I have the experience of combat by doing this? Not really. This gives the advantage to those players who DO have the patience to learn the combat mechanics in depth. Me? I dont. I set my overview to show the transversal so I can adjust speeds to account for my guns tracking speeds. I show the velocity to get an idea of how fast they're moving.

By taking the shortcut by buying into a bigger ship, Im losing out on the actual flight experience up to that point as compared to another player who flew the right ship for his skills. Most likely, I would lose my Abaddon within an hour of getting it due to a gate camp that I was too lazy to scout ahead for. Knowing my luck, it'd have been a 0.0 gate with bubbles around it causing me to lose my pod too.

Some people are saying buying skill points will cause a massive influx of sp into EVE, whereas the character bazaar doesnt do this. I really have no counter to this because it just seems to me a pretty fucking retarded idea. People intentionally create characters with the intent to sell. How is this not flooding New Eden with sp? I dont even know how its flooding EVE with SP anyways, as you cant turn SP directly into isk, and if you trade that character, it costs two plex anyways, which is either 20 bucks, or 700misk.

I say let me buy skill points. Let me trade sp from one area I dont do anymore to put into another area I do use, even at a 2:1 ratio, Id do it. The difficult part is when letting me buy implants for real cash. Do the implants explode if my pod gets popped? What if I want to put another set of implants in this clone cuz I dont have Infomorph Psychology or the faction standings to get my own jump clones? IMO, sell and treat them like regular implants. They get blown up if in cargo. They get blown up if podded. They get destroyed when replacing them. Well, no one would pay money for a set of +7 implants if that was the case right?

I feel alot of people would buy them. I also feel alot of carebear and pirate tears alike would flow if the player spends 50 bucks cash money on a set of implants only to lose them to being podded.  Same for the people who have a monocle that automagically reappears on their cloned face. You know what I have to say to them?

Welcome to EVE

No comments:

Post a Comment